Monday, January 23, 2012

The Water is Wide

I just finished a novel by Marianne Monson entitled The Water is Wide. I was very pleased with the story. It was true to historical accounts while still telling a great story. I must now try to wait patiently until the sequels are published and purchased to finish the journey with Mima.

In the book, Mima often refers to a song called The Water is Wide. I have found a recording by Charlotte Church and Enya. It is a beautiful and haunting song.



Official synopsis:


The first book in "The Mima Journals" historical novel series was released October, 2010 by Deseret Book. The first book is called "The Water is Wide."  

When Mima's mother meets a pair of LDS missionaries in the small English town of Wood Box in 1844, Mima prays that the townspeople won't treat them any differently. But when her mother chooses to be baptized, Mima's worst fears are recognized. Even her best friend refused to stand by her. So when her mother decides to leave for America, Mima is faced with some hard decisions. Should she stay in London with her brother, or face the journey to America with her mother and her strange new religion? Book one of three, The Water is Wide, begins the beautifully written adventure of a teenage girl who experiences the life of a pioneer as an outsider. For young adults, 220 pages.




No comments: