I came across some very interesting reading today. It stemmed from my study on prayer today. Yesterday, I read the article "The Language of Prayer" by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, where he encourages us all to use the "archaic" words as a form of reverence for the Almighty.
I decided to look up the proper use of the words so that I could . . . uh . . . use them properly - while praying.
In my research I came across this article, "Thee and Thou: Not Just for Quakers" by Bill Fortenberry that explains the proper usage of the terms and gives examples from the King James Version of the Bible (the one the LDS church embraces as the most correct translation of the Bible).
I also found and explanation for -est, -st, and -eth, -th.
It really opened my eyes and understanding and will make for many new discoveries during my studies of the scriptures.
Who says you can't learn something from the hard and archaic language used in the KJV Bible?
I decided to look up the proper use of the words so that I could . . . uh . . . use them properly - while praying.
In my research I came across this article, "Thee and Thou: Not Just for Quakers" by Bill Fortenberry that explains the proper usage of the terms and gives examples from the King James Version of the Bible (the one the LDS church embraces as the most correct translation of the Bible).
I also found and explanation for -est, -st, and -eth, -th.
It really opened my eyes and understanding and will make for many new discoveries during my studies of the scriptures.
Who says you can't learn something from the hard and archaic language used in the KJV Bible?
No comments:
Post a Comment